August 11, 2011

Dava Woodrow Castro

Bridal Portraits for Dava Woodrow
Location:  The Wright House @ 636 W University Dr, Mesa Arizona
When:  June 30, 2011  -  1 to 3 p.m.

This location offered plenty of available light indoors from floor to ceiling windows.  I added my own lighting in some cases to help brighten up a room.  You can see one of my set ups in the last photo and Brad demonstrating the Kilroy drawing.  In other situations the strobes provided the majority of the light seen in the photos.   The first five images were made using only available light.  A majority of these shots were taken using the 70-200mm f2.8L and my plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8 lens.  When a wide shot was required, I used the 17-40mm f4L.  Lighting created in various combinations using:  Norman power packs and heads, a v-flat, a 6X6' scrim and the sun.

I brought more gear than was necessary out of fear of not having enough.  That just meant we had more effects to play with, but the trade off was time.  At the end of the day we used six different locations all on the same property.  Not a bad outcome for two hours of shooting.  I did get a variety of shots thanks to the Wright House and a patient bride.  But there were so many more great looking areas around that property that we could have used if it were not for moving equipment from point A to point B.  My main goal was to experiment with v-flats.  So goal = accomplished.  The results were pleasing, but 20/20 hindsight reminded me that "less is more."






















3 comments:

Brad said...

One of the impressive accomplishments of the photos is that there's no hint of how hot it was that day. Oh, and it was hot.

Jill Richards said...

Beautiful work Terri! I love the lighting.

Terri Lea said...

Thank you Jill!